How to Survive in the Wild?
We call city life crazy, spend a day (and night) in the wilderness, and then we will have a chat! Out there, even a sip of filtered water seems like a luxury! Whether you are out hiking or camping, be prepared! Without that, you will be completely stuck.
Do not believe us?! Talk to adventure enthusiasts and they will tell you the base reality! Some may even share about unfortunate events of being stuck out there. But that does not mean you stop living and enjoying adventures! You need to enjoy, but also be prepared for the curve balls that life throws at you.
Here are a few ways you can stay prepared for survival out in the wild:
- Inform Someone of Your Trip: May it be for half a month or half a day, let someone know where you are headed! Give them an estimate of how many days later they should raise the flag! This way, even if by some unfortunate turn of events, you get stuck out in the wild, someone will be looking for you! Do not change your area of adventure drastically. Even if you do, come back to the area you said you would be. So, it is imperative that you at least have a compass with your high tech GPS device!
- Pack Smart: You need to have the right things in your backpack. But, first make sure that your backpack is strong enough to hold it all. Here is a checklist for the crucial supplies:
- Dry food supply & can opener
- Supplies for building shelter
- Tools to start a fire
- Supplies for water filtration
- A torch & headlamp
- GPS device & compass
- Dry Bags
- Water Bottles (preserve them for future use)
- Tools for hunting and surviving (just make sure you know the local regulations on carrying knives). In case you carry something like a pocket knife or bowie knife, make sure it is from reputed sellers like Perkin so as not to compromise on quality and dependability.
- Brush up on Your Bushcraft Skills: You never know when you could need these skills! So, it is best to brush up on them. If you have none, then get going. You need to know basic survival skills before you head out for your wilderness adventure. The skills include everything, from building a shelter to starting a fire. Did you know that a feather stick could come handy? Do not know how to make one? Well, that could be a problem! Talk to the experts and learn what skills you need to survive in the wild.
- Train to Stay Calm: Whatever the scenario, you need to stay calm. If needed, attend yoga and meditation classes before you head out on your wilderness adventure. Sounds foolish? Well, in the worst of conditions a cool head can be the difference between life and death. The feeling of loneliness will creep in and if you do not stay calm, it will have a compelling grip on you. You do not feel this is needed?! Okay, just imagine a scenario, you are out in the wild (rather stuck out in the wild) and panic has set in! Do you think that you will be able to think straight and work out the next step to survive? Definitely not! So, practice to stay calm (much ahead of your trip).
- Compass: Your GPS device is an electronic device, which can malfunction without notice. Learn to read a compass and ensure that you have packed one! If that fails as well, you need to know to read the stars. Are you laughing? No need to laugh! The natives navigated using the stars. If you can learn it, it is quite easy actually.
These are the preparations that you need to look after, before heading out to the wilderness. Once you are in the wild you need to be prepared as well. Do not relax one moment! Misfortune can hit you at anytime!
Here is what you need to do out in the wild to prepare for the worst (God forbid that ever happens, but be prepared)! Here are a few things that need your attention:
- Build a Shelter: Out in the wild do not take anything for granted. Chances are that if you let down your guard you are bound to be caught unawares. Make sure you have an understanding of your surroundings. Build two types of shelter, if needed! One should be high up in the trees and the other one on the ground. Night-time is a dangerous time!
- Water: You can go days without food, but not without water. You have no idea, if you might be stuck in the wild. So, make sure that you preserve the bottles. Later on, these can come handy for fetching water and storing filtered water.
- Enough Food Supply: A day or two is still bearable, but after that you will need food. After your food source has depleted, look for avenues to dig out edible tubers or hunt (if needed). If you could not carry a survival knife, you must have a pocket knife?! Create a handmade spear with wooden branch! If you do not have that as well, find a sharp rock. Create a spear with a stick of wood, by shaving it with the rock.
What do you do if you do get stuck?
If you are fated to go for a ride, adverse conditions are bound to appear. So, now that you are prepared, you should not be fearful. Here is what you need to do:
- Start by staying calm: If you panic, as we said, everything will go downhill.
- Make a mental note of your observations: You must have researched about the surroundings! So, start making mental notes. This will help you escape, in case you are confronted by an adversary (and you cannot fight)!
- Climb up to the Shelter in the Trees: The first night, you should spend in the trees! Do not sleep, keep an eye out! See what kind of animals do the rounds on the floor.
- Start Accumulating Food and Water: Never let either deplete! You will need all your energy to get out of the situation or at least survive till help arrives.
When in an unexpected adversity, just Ride it Out! That is all we can say. Future is unpredictable. Stay calm and make sure that you survive. Follow all the pointers provided; and let your instincts and intellect do the rest. You will definitely emerge victorious (safe and sound!) and return to your near and dear ones!